I actually rebuilt the freetype2-2.0.6 source rpm with the bytecode
interpreter enabled and found that the fonts look worse.  I don't have a
screenshot example, but I wound up put the original freetype back....
I'm about to try the Xft hack to see whether it is better, but it looks
good on those side by side comparisons on that website, and I'm not sure
that freetype2 2.0.8 will be any better.

Scott