I rather thought it odd when I did it because I too had read about the
bci doing a better job than the autohinter.  I really did rebuild 2.0.6
from src.rpm after editing the header to enable to byte-code
interpreter. When I installed it I noticed that the fonts had some
extreme inconsistencies in the line weights and it looked really bad.
Alas I did not save a screenshot of it.  I'm running 1280x1024, icky
intel i815 integrated video card and a ViewSonic P220f 22" monitor.

I tried the libXft-nohint patch and found that the fonts looked good,
but were a little too blurry. My monitor is having problems on the edges
already with blurriness on no-aa fonts, so it was too much.

I just installed the freetype-2.0.8 from texstar and it looks pretty
good.  Does it have the bci enabled?

I'll have to try this at home too, because my monitor there is much
clearer at 1400x1050 than this one is at 1280x1024.

Scott