* Stardate: 2002-03-10 22:18
* Incoming subspace signal from "Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" :

> > This is really bad, it means you can only browse the internet
> > comfortably if you *BUY* 8.2. Well, I'll just stick to 8.1 then, until it
> > really runs out of date, and then what ? SuSe ?
>
> Are you crazy of what??

Yes, once in a while.

> You're complaining that we don't put
> anymore this proprietary software on GPL CD's, when all should be
> happy that we manage to be more compliant with free software
> policies.

You're right. I didn't even think of that.

> Can't you just download netscape from any website or get it from
> older release?

But there's something strange going on here. Mandrake tries to make
using Linux as foolproof as possible with all those fancy GUI drak-tools.
Imagine the first time user who downloads the iso's, installs them, sees
all the nice configuration tools, only to discover that he has to
install some add-ons manually if he wants to do something as essential
as browse the internet in a way everybody does (with ease).

New users will (maybe) be put off by this,
maybe they don't even know how to handle a flash-tarball (everything is
rpm on Mdk, so why do they have to know anything about installing
tarballs). My feeling is that it just doesn't add up.

> And if you think Suse is the right way to obtain proprietary
> software without buying packs, I think you're wrong.

Well, SuSe was a mere example.

--
Best regards, M@X.

* Climate Control Psychedelic Soundscapes - http://go.to/cchq/
* Linux Shell Scripts & RPM Software Packages - http://go.to/conmen/

  1:32am  up 52 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.05