On Monday 11 March 2002 05:54 am, you wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SI Reasoning) writes:
> > 04:25   0:00 /sbin/dhcpcd -Y -N eth0
> > root      4912  0.0  0.1  1752  596 pts/1    S
> > 06:16   0:00 grep dhcpcd
>
> Ok, your dhcpcd was used only with the -Y and -N arguments:
>
> according to the man page you should the -H option for your needs.
>
> Also, according to the /sbin/ifup file, the following section:
>
> case $(basename $DHCP_CLIENT) in
>     dhcpcd)
>     [ -n "$DHCP_HOSTNAME" ] && DHCP_ARGS="-h $DHCP_HOSTNAME"
>     [ -n "$NEEDHOSTNAME" ] && DHCP_ARGS="$DHCP_ARGS -H"
>
> the last line requires the NEEDHOSTNAME variable in your
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.
>
> So, add a line like this in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> file:
> NEEDHOSTNAME=whatever
>
> ifdown eth0 and ifup eth0.
>
> This should use the -H option for your dhcpcd.
>
> Other ideas... you coulod use other dhcp client (dhcp-client, pump, dhcpxd)
>
> cheers,

The -H option is meat for dhcp servers which supply a host name for the
computer to use, the -h option is meant for computers that tell the dhcp
server what name they use.

Since it sounds as though SI is using a mixed environment and the supplied
dhcp.conf file has no host declartions and it is attempting to update the DNS
server, my guess is that the -h is the desired option.  In which case, just
set the DHCP_HOSTNAME variable in /etc/sysconfig/network to the same as the
HOSTNAME variable.  (I am assuming the HOSTNAME is actually set to the name
desired for the computer).

I am using a very similar set up here and it works like a charm.

Dave