Jeff Dickey wrote:

> Ron - keep up the good work.
> Mandrake folks - ditto, but either let's have a deep freeze or let's get
> Cooker fixed - you can't deep freeze a wildly moving target.
>
> As a quality engineer, I think Ron has a legitimate complaint about the
> response to his defect report - one of his drives is rendered unusable by
> rogue modifications to lilo.conf via an action that no reasonable user would
> expect to modify lilo.conf.  IN THE ABSENCE of documented defect
> classification, life cycle and escalation/resolution policies, and in the
> absence of documented target-user profiles eliminating users with multiple
> optical drives, this does sound like a defect that could affect a
> potentially significant population of users.  Personally, I'd be willing to
> bet that at least one reviewer will be bitten by this - and Mandrake really
> needs as smooth sailing in the review press as we can possibly get.

Well, Jeff, my problem reports all refer to the newly introduced
"Packages update only" installer option.   I do not know whether they
would crop up for other users of the installer.   On the assumption that
this feature was added to help beta testers (for which a big thank you
<G>) it may or may not be valid to generalise to all installer users.

Re "wildly moving target" and "we are in deep freeze", cooker received
1025 new or changed RPMs in the last 24 hours.   Mandrake 8.2 is plainly
still in Alpha test and they are improperly co-opting us outside users
to assist that process, which should be an internal function.   I am
looking forward to when Alpha has been completed and Beta and then Gamma
testing can commence, but regretfully (and foolishly) that has not
happened for any Mandrake release so far.

--
Ron. [au]