On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Warly wrote:

> So the datum is: "release date is March the 15th".
>
> Now we need to do it in this timeframe (and we are the 17th), and
> we have no other choice.
>
> In a few days 8.2 updates will be released, and them you will have
> the real stable and polished distro you want.
>
> Debian has no real realease date, as a consequence doing a stable
> release is just a piece of cake, anybody can do it.
>
> Maybe our model is not good.

Debian's model has it's fault too. Recently one famous Debian hacker
has left, because he thinks nobody is eager to stabilize woody.
The current woody and sid works well, so nobody thinks an
'absolutely stable' distro is necessary.

> Thinking of a better model, I am not sure what I could choose. No
> deadline means no hurry, and "if the last moments didn't exist,
> nothing good would be done".
>
> Moreover if we wait too much, new versions of nearly all the tools in
> the distro will be released, and their respective authors will not
> care anymore fixing bugs in the old version we would have included.
>
> I do think that our model is not so bad, and that we are reaching a
> good compromise between cutting edge and stability, but /this/
> compromise _is needed_.

An unrelated suggestion: I think it's better to let cooker subscribers
here know more about the time frame, so that testers will know:
"OK, the time is near, we should do more testing or work harder to
submit bug reports."

Abel