On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Jeff Dickey wrote:

> Mandrake has a great resource here - the great volunteer army of testers and
> users willing to test and poke and prod the software on a far greater
> variety of systems and configurations than Mandrake could ever have direct
> control of; but it will take some improvements in communication and process
> to make truly effective use of them. If we are to make Linux a more credible
> alternative to Windows - and Mandrake the preeminent Linux on the desktop.

Yes, I agree. I think your words "the preeminent Linux on the desktop" are
very interesting. Because a nice working desktop is Mandrake's trademark.

I think one of the common pit-falls for Linux distributors is trying to do
it all best. The possible uses of Linux have become so many and so diverse
that unless you have an unlimited amount of developers you need to focus.

If you don't focus the chances are you will end up with a distribution
that has flaws in many different areas and fails to do anything a 100%.

This affects how we work here in the Cooker mailing list. Because if the
primary goal is to have a flawless desktop some bug reports that before
were considered minor could actually become major. One example: fonts.
One could look upon font issues as being pretty negligible, but not so if
the goal is to be "the preeminent Linux on the desktop".

Regards,
Mattias