On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 08:37, Frédéric Crozat wrote:
> Le Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:55:15 +0100, Quel Qun a écrit :

> >> Try removing your ~/.gnome/session, bg-applet is probably not called by
> >> initiating gnome session, therefore not setting background..
> >>
> > Ok, I tried a few things here:
> >
> > I added
> >
> > rm -f $HOME/.gnome/session*
> >
> > as the first line of .xinitrc. For the sake of completness, this is
> > followed by:
> >
> > xmodmap -e 'keycode 116 = Super_R Multi_key' startgnome
> >
> > As long as I log out of gnome after closing everything, the bg is
> > reloaded when I run startx again.
> >
> > However, if I logout of gnome leaving an app running, the app is not
> > restarted and the bg is gone.
> >
> > There used to be a decent session management with gnome+gmc...
>
> You didn't undertood what I said to you :
>
> You just need to remove your ~/.gnome/session one time (you probably had
> a bad saved session)..
>
> If you want to save session, just go to Configuration/Gnome/Save current
> session and that should do the trick..

I am sorry, but I think you don't understand what I have been saying for
months. The session file may not even be the cause of the problem at
all.

Removed the first line of .xinitrc and just tried it again.

rm -f $HOME/.gnome/session
startx

The bg is loaded. Menu Configuration/Gnome/Save current session. Wait
few seconds. Logout with the menu function.

Back to console, startx, the bg is gone. An error message in console
says:

capplet-common-CRITICAL **: Cannot open configuration database
archive:user-archive#archiverdb:background-properties

If I fire up a terminal and run background-properties-capplet --apply,
the bg is applied with no error message.

After a Google search with the error message, I found this thread on
Ximian:

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/users/2001-December/000967.html

I changed the owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix back to root:root (it was indeed
changed to user:user), but it does not change the problem. Most of the
time, the bg is not loaded.

$ ll -A /tmp | grep ICE
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root            0 Mar 16 18:16 .ICE-unix/

$ rpm -q gnome-control-center
gnome-control-center-1.5.11-10mdk

=--=
kk1