»Buchan Milne« sagte am 2002-03-19 um 22:16:46 +0200 :
> The known issue only relates to people who are trying to use automatic
> print driver downloads, and only with specific print drivers. Affected
> printers are known to include HP2200 and HP Laserjet 4 (I beleive)

That's not me - I'm trying to print to samba which should use a CUPS
spool.  The driver is installed manually on the WIndows box.

> I would say samba-2.2.3a may not be suitable as a print server in some
> situations. If anyone has such a situation, we (Sylvestre and I) will be

Hm, any idea what's so special about my situation?  A home LAN with 3
PCs, one of them the Linux server.  Up to now, printing from Windows
doesn't work with accessing CUPS directly (via ipp) and also samba
printing doesn't work.  The CUPS issue is now (sadly I reported too
late) a known issue.  1.1.14 seems to be broken.  1.1.12 worked.  I
actually suspect that CUPS is also causing that I'm not able to print
via samba.  Don't know for sure, but I simply suspect this.

> In any case like this, what versions of windows you are using are
> useful, since win9x/winme use a totally different printing mechanism to
> winnt/win2k/winxp.

As said in the subject: Windows 2000.  Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, to
be totally correct.

> Also, if you are still having problems, a sanitised smb.conf would also
> be useful.

Please see my other reply.

Oh, I'm trying to print to a DeskJet 840C.

I knew that I had forgotten something.  I did not enable
application/octet-stream encoding in /etc/cups/mime.*.  After I did, I
can print - somewhat.  When I use the same printer driver I always used
in Windows, the letters are miles high.  It seems like they are
magnified by 400%.  Hmm, strange.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)