[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>=BBBuchan Milne=AB sagte am 2002-03-19 um 22:16:46 +0200 :
>> The known issue only relates to people who are trying to use automatic
>> print driver downloads, and only with specific print drivers. Affected
>> printers are known to include HP2200 and HP Laserjet 4 (I beleive)
>That's not me - I'm trying to print to samba which should use a CUPS
>spool.  The driver is installed manually on the WIndows box.
>> I would say samba-2.2.3a may not be suitable as a print server in some
>> situations. If anyone has such a situation, we (Sylvestre and I) will be
>Hm, any idea what's so special about my situation?  A home LAN with 3
>PCs, one of them the Linux server.  Up to now, printing from Windows
>doesn't work with accessing CUPS directly (via ipp) and also samba
>printing doesn't work.  The CUPS issue is now (sadly I reported too
>late) a known issue.  1.1.14 seems to be broken.  1.1.12 worked.  I
>actually suspect that CUPS is also causing that I'm not able to print
>via samba.  Don't know for sure, but I simply suspect this.

I don't think it's that, though I haven't had time to test it yet ....

>> In any case like this, what versions of windows you are using are
>> useful, since win9x/winme use a totally different printing mechanism to
>> winnt/win2k/winxp.
>As said in the subject: Windows 2000.  Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, to
>be totally correct.
>> Also, if you are still having problems, a sanitised smb.conf would also
>> be useful.
>Please see my other reply.

Using webmail now, so that's a bit difficult, but:
1)Are you using an username on windows that also exists on linux?
2a)If so, when you browse the samba box, do you see your home directory (ie a share
with your username)?
2b)If not, try putting "guest ok = yes" in the global section of smb.conf, and doing
"service smb reload".

>Oh, I'm trying to print to a DeskJet 840C.
That should be ok, but you never know ...

Buchan