On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 10:31, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I was wondering why there isnt a parrallel gnome1.4/gnome2 installation
> like there is for kde2/kde3? kde3 installes in /opt, gnome2 replaces
> crucial gnome1.4 files, like 'gnome-panel', 'gnome-session', etc. Whas
> this just overlooked, or is it intentional?

Intentional. It is meant to replace GNOME 1.x. There are many more KDE
people at MDK so they have the time to build it in the /opt directory
until it's ready for inclusion in /usr, hence obsoleting kde2. But I
have a feeling Frederic is already quite overworked.

> If it was intentional, can it
> be changed?  I like testing gnome2, but its not ready for regular use and
> its nice to be able to go back to gnome1.4 with out having to spend an
> hour uninstalling, then reinstalling stuff.

I've been using GNOME 2 every since beta 2. Some of the applets don't
work and such, but no big deal. The panel and Nautilus have been almost
rock solid (and Nautilus is also *much* faster :).

--

Steve Fox
IBM Linux Technology Center