On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:15:34 +0200 Michael Andreen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I posted this as reply to another thread, but looks like the discussion in
> that thread is over and noone is planning an answer, so here it is now, but
> not as a reply.
>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Wednesday 03 April 2002 10.29, Laurent Montel wrote:
> > Perhaps you don't know but cooker is DIFFERENT from 8.2 !
>
> When this is up.. It's been said that it's dangerous to run cooker, but how
> dangerous is it really?
>
> I've been "idling" on this mailinglist for a few months now and I can't see
> that it's more dangerous than always compiling and running the latest release
> of everything (which I tend to be doing after a while, or "stealing" a cooker
> package once in a while and get it into the stable dist), actually it seems
> less dangerous since you mdk guys are more experianced and follows the
> development of your packages better than me (I guess).
>
> So what's recommended? Running a stable release and compiling the latest
> software/ using a few cooker packages in the stable release or running a pure
> cooker system?
>
> Michael Andreen
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I run cooker all the time. On a few occasions I've spent 2-3 hours rebuilding a
box cause of  it. I wouldn't suggest using cooker for anything that needs to be
available. Using packages from cooker can be just as bad (search archives for
 libpng :) For a serious box and reliability - use a release version and let it get
out of date except for packages where you NEED the newer features/fixes.

--
Murray J. Root
Mandrake on irc.openprojects.net: