On Wednesday 17 April 2002 03:57 am, Borsenkow Andrej wrote:
> > > I wonder should it not be in FAQ somewhere
> >
> > The steps below are pretty much what I did before.
>
> "pretty much" is not enough. When I compile kernel it boots.

But I know *why* it did not boot.  mkinitrd wants /dev/loop which is not
getting created for some reason. (I have not used /dev/loop much, so i have
not looked into it.)  Ext3 was the problem. Fixed.

>  I think I see what may
>
> > have made the difference, but I can only be sure if I test it.
> >
> > > cd /usr/src/linux
> > > make mrproper
> > > edit Makefile - change EXTRAVERSION to something like 11mdk1alan
> > > cp /boot/config  .config
> >
> > I used the .config in the kernel-source rpm.  The other had been
> > overwritten.
>
> It is NOT THE SAME! You have to get config from your running kernel and
> it is located in kernel-2.4.18.Xmdk-{smp,enterprise,...}.

It does not matter.  I get the same problem with the patches as I do with the
old kernel.

> rpm2cpio kernel-XXX | cpio -imdu boot/config-XXX
>
> > I will try it with the one left by /boot/config-2.4.18-6mdk and see if
>
> that
>
> > is any better.
>
> DO NOT DO IT! Do NOT mix confis from different kernels releases.

I found that out.  (Make oldconfig started as\king for all sorts of new stuff.
I gave up after the third prompt.)

> > > make oldconfig
> > > make dep
> >
> > You forgot "make clean".
>
> I did not. It is not needed.

Not any more. It used to.  (I have been using Linux since 0.99.  I still
sometimes do things "the old fashion way".)

> > > make
> > > make modules
> > > make modules_install
> > > make install
> >
> > I did "make install" then "make modules_install". I wonder if that
>
> makes a
>
> > difference for mkinitrd?
>
> Yes. You have to have modules installed for mkinitrd to work.

You also have to have /dev/loop.

> > It does not seem to like the ext3 boot partition.
>
> It likes it if you do it correctly.

Actually, the reason it was not bulding had to do with /dev/loop.  Not having
modules installed gives a different error. To get around the problem, I just
rebuilt with ext3 and jfs as part of the kernel instead of a module.  Worked
fine.

Either way, the problem still exists.  I need to see if I captured a proper
kernel oops this time.  (I have not gotten to it yet.)  I will need to move
it to this machine before sending out in any case.

The problem only seems to occur after mounting and unmounting a zip disc under
ide-floppy. (msec had run successfully before that point.)

I should have more data once I have checked the oops and a few other things.