> > > Not even using the high density format (fd0u1760 I
> > > think) like tomsrtbt uses?

Tomsrtbt uses fd0u1722, the highest you can go and still have the BIOSes
happy booting them, and not have problems with the gaps.

1760 is 80 tracks 22 sectors, 1722 is 82 tracks 21 sectors, so, 1722 runs
some risk that the head will run off the tracks past the station, but is
more conservative with reducing the gap.

> > - the problem explaining people how to format 1.7 Mb, especially
> >   people who need to create boot floppy under windoze

A major problem.

> > - increasing problems of data corruption

No, I don't think so.  The bit-density is the same.  It either works or it
doesn't, but there is no increased risk of corruption.  You are not
packing stuff closer, you are just making smaller gaps between sectors,
and going further towards the edge.  As you take it further, what you have
is more and more drives and BIOSes that just won't work- but not more data
corruption.  Of course, if you really stuff 1722 on it and depend on every
bit, you have more chance of failure just because there are more bits with
the same chance per bit.

> Well, we have rawrite for windows, and you can find a few utilities for
> formating floppies up to 2MB under windows with GUI, so why not?

They all suck.  And fail.  And quirk.  It is impossible to try to depend
on any of them.  And they don't work on NT/2K/XP anyway.  Tomsrtbt made a
loadlin/initrd DOS installer specifically because all the fdformat18.zip
and 2MGUI type tools are finicky and sensitive to any stray interrupt or
cosmic ray.  And you have to patch rawrite, which I did, but abandonded.

-Tom