On Sat May 25, 2002 at 01:26:28PM +0200, Olivier Thauvin wrote:

> > On Sun May 19, 2002 at 09:51:41PM +0200, Yves Duret wrote:
> > I was thinking about it, yes, but discussion with others decided that
> > two FTP servers was enough for Mandrake (I agree), and my preferred
> > solution of removing wu-ftpd in favour of vsftpd was not well
> > received.  =)
> >
> IMHO I think it is a good idea to keep wu-ftpd in distrib for some reasons:
> - - historic reason
> - - as I know, only wu-ftpd permit to download on the fly .tar and or .gz.
>
> I know wu-ftpd is not the best ftp server, perharps keeping it in contrib.

wu-ftpd and anonftp would definately be kept in contribs.  Historical
reasons doesn't really fly with me... AFAIC, if someone can run an FTP
server, they can download the source and build it themself if they
can't be bothered to use something decent (yes, I am displaying some
anti-wu-ftpd sentiment here).

I don't know about the .tar/.gz thing...  doesn't proftpd do anything
like that?

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx -source http://www.freezer-burn.org/bios/vdanen.gpg | gpg --import"

Current Linux kernel 2.4.18-6.4mdk uptime: 3 days 7 hours 27 minutes.