On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 02:53, Murray J. Root wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:36:02 -0400 (EDT) "Yura Gusev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
> > 5. Notice of Automatic Software Updates from Sun.  You acknowledge that
> > the Software may automatically download, install, and execute applets,
> > applications, software extensions, and updated versions of the Software
> > from Sun ("Software Updates"), which may require you to accept updated
> > terms and conditions for installation. If additional terms and conditions
> > are not presented on installation, the Software Updates will be considered
> > part of the Software and subject to the terms and conditions of the
> > Agreement.
> > 6. Notice of Automatic Downloads. You acknowledge that, by your use of the
> > Software and/or by requesting services that require use of the Software,
> > the Software may automatically download, install, and execute software
> > applications from sources other than Sun ("Other Software"). Sun makes no
> > representations of a relationship of any kind to licensors of Other
> > Software. TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL SUN OR ITS
> > LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOST REVENUE, PROFIT OR DATA, OR FOR SPECIAL,
> > INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, HOWEVER CAUSED
> > REGARDLESS OF THE THEORY OF LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE
> > USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE OTHER SOFTWARE, EVEN IF SUN HAS BEEN ADVISED OF
> > THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
> > Why what and WTF? Can you tell me since Sun started developing spyware
> > software?
> >

> There's no mention of spyware here - did you forget a piece? All this says is
> it will automatically DOWNLOAD (that means put on your computer, not take from
> your computer) updates.

Um, 'fraid not. in 6 above: "the Software may automatically download,
install, and execute software applications from sources other than Sun
("Other Software")."

That's not updates. Clause 5 refers to updates, clause 6 doesn't - it
lets the software download and install stuff written by other companies,
maybe without even asking you (this seems to be the implication of
'automatically'). That's certainly a license to distribute spyware...and
they don't even have to write it.
--
adamw