On Wednesday 21 August 2002 09:20 pm, Richard G. Houser wrote:
> Anyone else think it might be beneficial to either include the words
> "wrapper" or "compatibility layer" in this description?  These two come
> to my mind immediately whenever I think of WINE.  As an added bonus for
> the "wrapper" description, many of the Windows gamers that started at
> least 2+ years ago are likely to be familiar with Glide or OpenGL
> wrappers.  A lot of drivers just before that had buggy OpenGL support
> and some applications only supported the proprietary Glide API so these
> wrapper DLLs were a must to use many programs with the newer hardware.

That would simply confuse things.  My opinion: who cares?  It's just a package
description, not anything which pretends to be an authoritative source.
Hardly anybody ever reads these things.  If they do, they'll understand what
it's supposed to do if you just call it an emulator.  People know what
emulators are, they would get confused if you say that it is a "an API
compatibility wrapper for Win32 binaries" or something like that.  If they
want more details on how it works, they will do a google search and go to
winehq.com which clarifies things on the nuts and bolts.

"Too much detail" is a major problem with package descriptions.  When people
decide whether to install a package or not, they want to know WHAT a program
does, not HOW it does it.
--
-- Igor