Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 18:12, Michal Bukovjan wrote:
>

>>ALSA modules, which worked for a long time for me, seems broken after I
>>enabled those by hand. But perhaps they are fixed in Alsa 0.9rc3, MDK9.0
>>ships with Alsa 0.9rc2.
>

> Are you sure they're broken?
>
> Remember you don't have to enable ALSA by hand any more, use draksound.
> And also remember default ALSA setting, for some insane and stupid
> reason, is to mute everything, so you have to run alsamixer(gui) to get
> any sound in the first place.

I am pretty sure they (ALSA drivers for VIA686a) are broken in
MDK9.0/ALSA 0.9rc2.

I enabled them by hand, and the sound was unmuted and volume was working
- but instead of sound (GNOME events, xmms playing - via ESD, OSS, ALSA
plugin, I tried everything) it resulted in some distorted sounds.

That's why draksound will not even offer them (which is correct decision
from Mandrake).