On Friday, October 18, 2002, at 06:01 PM, David Walluck wrote:

I agree on most of these points, the only benefit being that it may then be possible to integrate the Drake tools into the Kde control center if they were based on QT. Other than that I just think that having a consistent interface that looks good is what matters, not what toolkit it uses. just my 0.02 worth...
Scott
I was just reading today how some big KDE players like David Faure think PerlQT3 is great.

It shouldn't be too much work to port existing tools. They could use yet another rewrite anyway. From a user's (and admin's) perspective the config tools are some of the most important reasons to pick Mandrake.

Maybe GTK apps are more 'neutral' with regard to their looks, but instead, consider how much of the userbase uses KDE. In fact, when Mandrake first started, KDE was *the* main selling point.

Since I will guess that 70% of Mandrake users use KDE and not GNOME, it might be better to use a KDE (or QT) LNF. I think the reason GTK was chosen in the first place (besides maybe QT bindings not being available), is that GTK is what the Mandrake coders knew, so the choice seems arbitrary rather than based on 'looks'.
Can you tell me if qt requires any KDE junk installed? Ie. in order to use MCC, will a user have to install kdebase or kdelibs or is qt enough? One very good reason for using GTK is that you do not need GNOME installed.

It would not be a good idea *at all* to require a bunch of KDE stuff in order to use the control center. What about server systems that only have, for example, blackbox or windowmaker installed? Are we to tell them that with 9.1 they must install a bunch of useless KDE stuff in order to use the drak* tools? With GTK, they don't have to install GNOME, so this is a step backward just to use the "latest thing".

Please tell me I'm wrong... =) I don't use KDE, have no interest in using KDE, and since you know so much about perl-qt, I ask you instead of bothering to look around and figure it out on my own.

If any such dependencies are a factor, than I strongly argue against any change that would require such additional cruft to be installed.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx - source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"