Well, that depends on how well you can get Linux to run on them. If they are all flaky installs, or something is broke, then you won't be able to make any profit. People don't want to pay you to install something that's broke, when they can do it themselves.

Pricing would be another issue, if you have to buy machines with Windows on them, and then install them, then it won't be worth anything. If you can find a way to buy them without having to pay for the MS liscense, then you might be able to cut people a good deal on a laptop.

All in all, I think that if you can get a good laptop, which works well under linux, and for a decent price, you should be able to make some money. I know I'd at least tell my clients about it, if not buy one myself.

Greg Drake wrote:
I have been pondering the idea of starting a small business installing
and selling Linux on laptops.  Does anyone have any idea how much
business I may get with such a venture?  I am keeping watch of this
mailing to see what some of the best laptops would be to use.