I have a Presario 700 with the AMD 1.4Ghz.

WindowsXP Home came with it and it works fairly well
so instead of blowing it off, I put VMWare on it instead.

Mdk 8.2 worked great on it that way.  The only problem
being I had to use The [fn] key and [nmlck] key to turn
off the numeric keypad functionality that somehow got
enabled every time X started up.

I haven't checked with VMWare recently, but it wasn't
yet ready to run the newer kernels for 9.0 during the
beta cycle.

I've heard that compaq's are delicate, so I treat mine
delicately in terms of physical handling at least.

;)

-AEF