Hi

>> today I thought I would look into recompiling the kernel.
>> First thing I wanted to try is to just change the processor
>> type to Athlon (Got a 1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird).

william> I have an 1.3 Ghz Athlon Duron and the kernel compiles without any
william> problems. Works great. The commands I issued were:

william> make dep
william> make clean bzImage modules
william> make modules_install install

william> The only difference is in the make clean. Good luck.

I will try to explain the facts:

- building a kernel when you change your config or your compiler mean
  that you need to run: make mrproper  (*)

- detecting that something has changed and that _everything_ needs to
  be recompiled is a difficult problem, and not solved for the linux
  kernel build system (if you want details, search in google kbuild &
  linux kernel and you will find more than you want to know).

- Mandrake kernel has a hack to do the make mrproper magically the
  first time that you run a make *config.

- Mandrake kernel-source needs to have the dependency files to make
  modversions working (aka 3rdparty kernel modules, nvidia & similars)
  to check that they are compiled against the right kernel.

- As somebody requested me, know there is a README.Mandrake (thanks
  greg) that explains that you need the make mrproper _always_.
  (Yes I know that nobody reads READMES, including myself :(

- In this particular case, the make clean is the thing that makes the
  diff, but could not be enough:

save .config
make mrproper
restore .config if you want.
make *config
make bzImage modules
make modules_install install

should _always_ work, and is the recomended procedure.

Later, Juan.

* Yes, it is not always required, but if you know when is/isn't
  required you don't need to read this email :)

are different -- Larry McVoy