Emmanuel Blindauer wrote:
Can synthesis and hdlist be used at same time ?
I can't use only synthesis file because I use a lot urpmf to find a package from a header file, to install it later.
A nice idea is having the two files for a source.
* "urpmi.update -a" will update synthesis file
* "urpmi.update -a --full" will update hdlist file (or another option than --full)

So normal users won't see changes, and advanced users will have to add an option to theirs scripts :)

urpmf could print a warning if the hdlist is older than the synthesis.

Advantages: full descriptions available for all packages, and only small synthesis updated when checking for updated packages

Emmanuel

or urpmi could simply be able to manage diffs files for hdlists.cz and synthesis

Each synthesis and filelist should have a version number

You should only need ot download diff files if that was done that way.

Get the big files only one time
Automatically update tu current version using patch from small diff files.

Diffs files should be kept for every update inside one major mandrake cooker update

a base hdlist for cooker 9.1
then a diff file for each update push until cooker 9.2

urpmi should manage the diffs files download and patching transparently.

regards

--
Léa Gris