Le jeu 28/11/2002 à 12:22, Lea Gris a écrit :

> Whth urpmi you have to update entire filelists everytime you want to
> upgrade/download from an internet source because otherwise you get
> pointers to unavailables packages.

Yes, maybe it can be automated but urpmi.update -a && urpmi
--auto-select --auto is not quite hard to write if any you write it.

> with apt-get update you don't have to.
> Packages are up to date everytime. I don't know precisely how it work
> but you don't have to update entire filelists everytime.
>
> Filelists represent like 25MB of data on a cooker + contribs this is
> quite huge to download whan you just like to update one or two packages
> or just want one new installed.

$ wc -c /var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.cooker.cz
 142518 /var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.cooker.cz

Is it too large ? It is less than 25MB anyway.

Of course if you want to use urpmf, it is no more usable but it is
enough for installing packages (even with --auto-select)

> maybe Mandrakesoft can improove urpmi in some way in that direction.

Currently the last improvement are use another mirror for downloading
file (if some site gets unreachable), allow not creating list file (more
an internal improvement) and some bug fixes.

François.