On Thursday 28 November 2002 20:01, Igor Izyumin wrote:

> There are two key differences:
> 1. Mandrake does not make Crossover.  Codeweavers does.  They are taking
> most of the risk here.  It's a much smaller risk for Mandrake than
> including a script that auto-installs fonts.
Strange reasoning. Mandrake provides crossover and the script. The script was
made by Ben. So what is the difference? (Hell, if you think it is because of
it is a company, Ben could start one just for holding the copyright of the
script).
> 2. Crossover does not install these fonts transparently.  They still
> present the click-wrap in its original form, and they could argue that it's
> the user's responsibility to make sure they have a right to use that piece
> of software.
Ok, shall I submit a patch so that the files are unpacked trough a call to
wine to unzip the files? Including nice popup EULA? Would that make everybody
happy?

> How about fixing the font packages instead?  It's not that hard to make a
> set of decent bitmap fonts from the TTF ones.
Decent bitmap fonts...Am I reading this well?

>I am pretty sure that
> someone could get the FontLab people (www.pyrus.com) to donate a copy or at
> least sell it at a reduced price.  Then you could just fix the broken fonts
> (very hard) or make bitmaps for them (easy but time-consuming).  Or you
> could try pfaedit, although it's not exactly a mature program. Anyway, I
> think a constructive approach would be better in the long run than just
> recycling Microsoft's fonts.

_good_ fonts are hard to make and expensive to buy.

Danny