I agree, that's why during install, the client must be told what is going on!! Then, THEY have the choice of going with driver that may/may not work or going with a generic one that does. Besides, I think the badmouthing about a screen that is barely visible would be MUCH worse than the badmouthing about lack of acceleration. The client would think Mandrakes installer was just clueless and not bother to fix it while just going back to what "works" (ie Windwers). Notice I didn't say, "works well". It is a fact that Linux is not as homogenously supported by hardware manufacturers as Windows, however, it is the job of the install program to sort our which driver will provide the best end user experience, period. If the default driver will not provide a visible screen (by visible, I mean one the user can stand to look at for any length of time), then by george it better choose the generic bloody driver that does work!!

My .0002c worth.

I suggest you read this:
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-12-07-004-26-IN-DB-SW&tbovrmode=1#talkback_area

to get an idea of what people who will BUY your product think...

If I understand you correctly, then you feel it is ok if the native driver ONLY provides for a (kind of) visible screen at 800x600 and a color depth of 8bpp SO LONG as it is accelerated?? I have to *cough* disagree and I would venture to say most (if not all) consumers of your product would agree. List, please correct me if I am wrong here.

Regards,

Jason