--- Original Message ---
From: Chuck Shirley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Cooker] GPM error: unknown mouse type 250

>Hello List!
>       Here is a minor problem with gpm that I have been living
>with for quite some time (always??)  When switching from X to a
>virtual console, I often encounter a badly behaving mouse, typically
>requiring the following to get it straightened out.  The mouse that
>I use is a Radio Shack branded trackball with three buttons and two
>scroll-wheels.  It works excellently in X, and, when gpm's imps2
>driver loads without complaining, it works perfectly on the virtual
>terminals as well.
>
>[chas@megalodon chas]$ *** err [mice.c(1864)]: imps2: PS/2 mouse
failed init
>*** err [mice.c(1864)]: imps2: PS/2 mouse failed init
>
>[chas@megalodon chas]$ su -c "service gpm restart"
>Password:
>Shutting down console mouse services:
[FAILED]
>Starting console mouse services: *** err [mice.c(1892)]: imps2:
Auto-detected unknown mouse type 250, assuming standard PS/2
>*** err [mice.c(1892)]: imps2: Auto-detected unknown mouse type
250, assuming standard PS/2

[  OK  ]
>[chas@megalodon chas]$ su -c "service gpm restart"
>Password:
>Shutting down console mouse services:
[  OK  ]
>Starting console mouse services:
[  OK  ]
>[chas@megalodon chas]$

Yes, I don't think this is a Mandrake bug per se, except that
someone should really take the time to fix this problem and apply
a custom patch.
gpm seems to lose synchronization with the mouse and only receive
an ACK character (250) instead of the intended id (3 for the
imps2 IIRC).
It has been reported many times, some people have submitted
patches, but nothing has ever been applied.
It is the kind of glitch that is very annoying in the long term,
but not annoying enough as soon as you try to get into the source
code and fix it.
Here is the last thread I found about it:
http://lists.linux.it/pipermail/gpm/2002-December/000569.html

=-=
kk1