On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:05:49 +0000
"H.J.Bathoorn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 17 January 2003 11:22, Marcel Pol wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:01:27 +0200
> >
> > Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Speaking of scanners, someone needs to look at making saned (a killer
> > > application, sharing a scanner under windows is impossible, but can be
> > > done under linux with some effort at present) easier to setup.
> >
> > Would that be done with a saned entry in /etc/xinetd/ ?
> > I wouldn't know how to have saned.conf opened up for host on the local
> > network, maybe that should still be done manual then. Default it doesn't
> > allow any hosts.
>
> But what's the point of having a shared scanner?
>
> You still physically have to put your original on the glass plate and making
>
> multiple scans of the same original doesn't happen that often.
>
> In those rare cases a telnet or ssh session would suffice wouldn't it?

There's no use in having a scanner accessible on building5, floor8, room6,
while you're in building3.
But for a small office, when people share the same room, why not. If you have
to walk 3 meters to change the paper, walk to your workstation, and hit a
button in gimp, or under windows with a sane-twain program, then life is easy.
You can edit the generated scan on your desktop immediately. If the
scannerserver is already running as a printserver or so, it can be a small
effort to set up a scannerserver, which makes it accessable to everyone
immediately.
No need to run around with that scanner, and making sure you have drivers
installed on every machine.
And no need to login through ssh, use a commandline tool to scan (how do you
view the preview?), then make it available over a fileserver or through scp.

--
Marcel Pol

Linux 2.4.21-pre2.1mdk-ringworld.2, up 1 day, 1:17
Registered User #163523