On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Bruce A. Mallett wrote:

> If the user setup is done first then new users are more likely to add
> themselves
> as a user.  Then when prompted for the root/admin. password they will have
> already setup a non-root user that can be the default login.

I don't agree with this, unless authentication is split off. Since, in any
case where a network authentication method (LDAP, NIS, Windows Domain) is
used, in most cases a user account will not be necessary. A root account
is always necessary, and should be where the user uses their good password
;-).

Of course, there are other problems which are not easily solved, in higher
security levels you are asked for an account to send alerts to, before any
accounts (including setting of root password) have been made. But I don't
hink it would be practical to move the dialog.

Buchan