On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 17:06, B Lauber wrote:
>   Sony claims that VAIO systems are not designed for Linux, but I know for a
> fact that my system worked just fine w/ Mandrake 8.0.  If I can see anything
> in 9.1, I would like to see a modification for APM so that my system is able
> to suspend again.

Just add "acpi=off" to the append line in lilo.conf (or the
configuration file for whatever bootloader you use :>). Then you'll get
APM.

>   Here's what I know as of now:  the confusion  that causes the system to
> lock has something to do w/ the keyboard and the system's fan (I have a
> battery that causes the fan to studder at times; whenever it studders, the
> keyboard studders as well.  Furthermore, when the system recovers from a
> suspend, it will work for about 5 seconds until the fan reactivates.).  My
> guess is that the keyboard is wrongly detected and registered because
> between Mandrake versions 8.0 and 8.2 it has lost support for the windows
> keys (in 8.0, pushing the windows key would make the K menu pop up).
>   I will have more information soon -- I'm going to put 8.0 back onto my
> system and check the irq's of the keyboard and such.

ACPI works very well on my C1XD; suspend doesn't seem to work, however.
(At least not with "cat 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep", which is the only method
I've heard of to invoke a suspend under ACPI.
--
adamw