Sorry, I don't think I was clear last time. It's not that there is no APM support for VAIO -- it's that it's broken. When the system recovers from a suspend, everything will lock after 3-5 seconds (before this, the keyboard and mouse will work perfectly.)

I have included the writup of my syslog that I promised. It may not be exact -- I had to copy it manually since the system freezez before it is written to the hd:

This is what my syslog reads when returning from a system suspend:

apmd[985]: System Suspend
apmd[985]: apmd_call_proxy: executing: '/etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/apmd_proxy' 'resume'
usb: Initializing USB controller (usb-uhci): succeeded
kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse common for all mice
network: Setting network parameters: succeeded
apmd[985]: apmd_call_proxy: + Initializing USB controller (usb-uhci): [ OK ]^M Setting network parameters: [ OK ]^M Bringing up loopback interface:
network: Bringing up loopback interface: succeeded
kernel: 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.25
kernel: PCI: Enabling device 00:10.0 (0000 -> 0003)
kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:10.0
kernel: IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.5, have irq 5, want irq 10
kernel: IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.6, have irq 5, want irq 10
kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:0a.1
kernel: PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:10.0 to 64

If I enter a suspend while the system is first booting up , everything will work perfectly (keyboard works, mouse works, etc) until... well, here's the print-up:

Mounting local filesystems: [ OK ]
Checking loopback filesystems: [ OK ]
Mounting loopback filesystems: [ OK ]
The BackSpace key sends: ^? [ OK ]
Enabling swap space: [ OK ]
Initializing firewire controller (ohci1394): [ OK ]
Building Window Manager Sessions [ OK ]
insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

Once again, I want to reiterate that I know for a fact that this problem did not exist in Mandrake 8.0. If anyone has any idea why this problem formed between 8.0 and 8.2 (I never tested 8.1), that would be great.

As for now, I'm going to do more research into the problem -- Chao