On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 11:43, Thierry Vignaud wrote:

> the big problem being that alsa insists on muting everything by
> default whereas enabling right switches by default would be a lot
> better and reduce the "alsa sucks; oss rulez" messages bag we all have
> seen there among the years.

Maybe as a basic start you could just set it so that Master, PCM and CD
volumes are unmuted and set to, say, 70 by default on *all* cards? I
can't think of a situation in which this would be wrong, and it's lots
less work than setting up a database of sensible values for all settings
on all cards. That could be done gradually, but this would be a good
first step that at least gives basic sound and lets people know ALSA is
working :)
--
adamw