On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 15:21, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 12 Feb 2003, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 11:43, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> >
> > Maybe as a basic start you could just set it so that Master, PCM and CD
> > volumes are unmuted and set to, say, 70 by default on *all* cards?
>
> The problem is, that this still doesn't enable sound on some cards. For
> instance on the sblive, the rear speakers are on a separate ADC and are
> governed by a separate mixer channel called 'wave surround'. And you have
> to _mute_ 'analog output jack' which is used on some specific cards who
> have an extra analog output (IIRC).
> In addition 'Master' on sblive does not control the rear channels, but it
> does on some other cards. It will be necessary to have defaults per card
> because _each card has its own different mixer channels_. This is also
> true for OSS, but even more so for ALSA because it provides a much finer
> grained control.

Yes, I know. I wasn't proposing it as a complete solution: as I said I
propose it as a "basic start". For the long term we really need a list
of appropriate settings for each driver. What this WOULD do, though, is
give basic output through two speakers on every card, which a) ought to
be the case and b) means people won't think ALSA is broken as they do
now.
--
adamw