On Wednesday 12 February 2003 09:19 am, Götz Waschk wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 12. Februar 2003, 15:05:58 Uhr MET, schrieb Pascal Terjan:
> > Someone already wanted hot-babe to be removed from PLF because it
> > made it "unprofessional" :) Difference is PLF doesn't care about
> > being unproffesionnal or offensive. If people don't want to use PLF
> > because of that, great, mirrors will be faster.
>
> I also want Mandrake to gain on user share which means it has to be
> somehow professional.
>
> > But I agree that's not a solution, else we'll soon have more packages in
> > PLF than in regular mdk... Did someone already complain about BitchX ?
>
> That's the question: who should set the standards? Should we use the
> most restrictive morale (that would be Saudi Arabian at the moment) as
> the standard of what can be part of the distribution and what not?

I'll bet that until it was brought up NOBODY remembered that this was in the
man pages.  It's been there since 1987 - not exactly a recent addition.  I'll
bet that if this really WAS an issue, that it would have come up sometime in
the last 14 years - and as far as I've been able to find it hasn't.

There are always going to be things in the world that SOMEONE finds offensive.

My vote - if this ever came to a vote - would be to leave the man page package
alone.

Question for people who run other distributions and UNIX versions - is this
man page included in them? or have other distros deleted the "offensive"
material?

Just my $0.02

Vinny