On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 12:26, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, guran wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Background.
> > My dhcp client does not set or override the correct localhost.localdomain
> > name.
> >
> > During booting up the messages say that cups have adopted to 192.168.1.252.
> >
> > I got a very good letter from Buchan Milne
> >
> > http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2003-01/msg08662.php
> >
> > so I have run a diff between /usr/sbin/drakconnect from 9.0 and 9.1 and beware
> > I don't know much of this.
> >
> > I have been looking for Hostname and hostname and there are differences but I
> > dont understand them.
> >
> > Someone who knows please check it out.
> >

> OK, I was taking a look at this also, I got my hostname at work (but I may
> have a hardware-ethernet entry in our dhcp server there, not sure now),
> but not here at home.
>
> I may have run drakconnect between, but I had to set DHCP_HOSTNAME in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 for the dhcp client to provide
> it in the dhcp request. Drakconnect also does not set ZEROCONF_HOSTNAME
> (except during installation) it seems. Then, to actually set my hostname,
> I had to set HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network.
>
> Then, it still does not add an entry in hosts for this hostname.
>
> This still needs to be investigated. Florin (or whoever is responsible for
> drakconnect), could you list how this is supposed to work, so we can help
> track down *where* the bugs are (drakconnect or initscripts).
>
> Regards,
> Buchan

Buchan,

  If I may ride on your coat tails a bit here... at the same time and
probably related could someone find out why  /etc/hosts keeps getting
reset to 127.0.0.1 localhost instead of the normal 127.0.0.1
localhost.localdomain localhost (in fact why does it keep getting wiped
out in the first place.)  Thankyou for your patience.

James