Greg Meyer wrote:
> I am having trouble with the hostname on my cooker box and can't
figure out
> what is going on.  I am updated through 20030227's Cooker.
>
> I am on a network with a dhcp server and have set a hostname in
drakconnect.
> When I reboot, the machine is assigned an ip address by the dhcp server
> (192.168.0.6) and the hostname is set to dhcppc5.
>
> I know that the dhcp server is providing the hostname, but why doesn't
the OS
> use the hostname I entered in drakconnect?
>
> The contents of my /etc/sysconfig/networking file:
>
> NETWORKING=yes
> GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
>
> If I add a hostname and domain name to /etc/sysconfig/networking, it
still
> boots up using dhcppc5 as the hostname.  What is going on here?

What have you got in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?

(NO I am not saying people should have to edit this by hand, I am trying
to see what drakconnect should be doing).

This is what I have to get the behaviour I want:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]$ grep -i hostname
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=bgmilne-thinkpad
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]$ grep -i hostname /etc/sysconfig/network
#HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
HOSTNAME=bgmilne-thinkpad

> Shouldn't the hostname I provide in drakconnect override anything the
DHCP
> server provides.

I am not sure. What about in corporate networks, where if the name is
assigned by dhcp, then dns entries get added (DDNS). If the user did not
know this, and gets a different name as hostname to what was assigned to
them, then we have the hostname lookup problem again.

> I see this has been dicussed before, but I don't see
> resolution.  Why should I have to manually edit
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
/etc/sysconfig/networking to
> set a hostname on this machine.

- --