I do the same, putting a cover over the pan.  I put the bread in the
toaster and start the eggs in the pan almost simultaneously.  I turn
the flame under the pan to medium, just until the eggs begin to
sizzle.  Then I turn off the stove, letting the eggs sit in the pan
while I butter the toast.  The eggs usually come out with just enough
yolk to dip the toast into, but it's not terribly runny nor too hard.

One person mentioned the bag method of cooking an omelette; I used to
have that recipe but can't find it.  Would you please post it on a new
subject line?  Perhaps call it Omelette in a Bag?

Also, Andrew, you mentioned an electric omelette pan.  I didn't know
they had electric ones.  What is the brand, please, and where did you
purchase it?  Thanks.    Jennifer