Barb, I'm going to attempt to paste in a recipe from
www.melindalee.com  In the recipe, she mentions brining the goose, so
I've included her recipe and instructions for brining.  hth.  It is
not often that a wife gets to cook her husband's goose, so anything I
can do to help ...!

9. CHRISTMAS GOOSE
Here is an unusual stuffing in a traditional Charles Dickens-style
holiday bird. The tart cranberries and kumquats balance in flavor and
texture with the
pork sausage and crunchy pistachios. An orange-flavored liqueur blends
the flavors all together - it is really a favor festival, and goes
best with a wonderful
red Burgundy wine. Of course, feel free to use another stuffing (see
our Recipe Archives for some choices), or to roast the goose
unstuffed, using the
same roasting method. Test for doneness (165 degrees) as described at
the end of the recipe.

Cook's Note: A goose is an excellent candidate for brining. Even
though the bird has a lot of fat under the skin, the meat can be dry
and stringy - brining
works wonderfully well to eliminate the problem. See the "Ultimate
Brine for Turkey" recipe in our Recipe Archives (menu at left) and
follow the same directions.
Brine a goose for 12 to 24 hours (overnight is terrific).

SERVES 6

1 pound, bulk pork sausage
1/2 cup (1 stick), unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion – chopped
5 ribs celery – coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups, dry white wine or dry vermouth
1 bag (1 pound), dried herb-seasoned stuffing
12 ounces, fresh cranberries
1 jar (9 ounces), kumquats – drained and quartered
[or use 1 cup, fresh kumquats, poached in sugar and water until tender
and drained]
1/2 cup, shelled pistachio nuts
1/4 cup, Cointreau or Grand Marnier
2 eggs - lightly beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

1 goose (9 to 11 pounds)
1 lemon – halved
1 teaspoon, ground allspice
1/2 cup, pure maple syrup

To Make the Stuffing: In a large skillet, sauté the pork sausage -
crumbling it with a fork - just until it is no longer pink. Transfer
the cooked sausage
to a large mixing bowl. In the same skillet, melt the butter over
medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté about 10 minutes. Stir
in the wine and
cook 1 minute more. Add the herb stuffing to the sausage, pour the
vegetable mixture over all, and stir to combine thoroughly.
Add the cranberries, kumquats, and pistachios to the stuffing and stir
to combine. Moisten the stuffing with the Cointreau or Grand Marnier
and the beaten
eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

To Roast the Goose: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Rinse the goose
and pat dry. Rub the goose inside and out with the cut lemon. Sprinkle
the cavity
with salt and pepper. Loosely stuff the bird and then truss (or tie
together the drumsticks). Cook’s Note: Extra stuffing can be baked in
a greased casserole
for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Pour water into a roasting pan to a depth of about 1/2 inch. Place the
goose on a rack in the pan and sprinkle over the allspice, salt and
pepper.

Roast the goose for 20 minutes in the preheated 450-degree oven, then
reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue roasting until the bird’s
juices run
clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced -about 20 minutes
per pound. An instant read thermometer, inserted into the thickest
part of the thigh
meat (without touching bone) should read 165 degrees. During roasting,
baste first with the maple syrup and then with the accumulated pan
juices.

Remove the goose from the oven and allow the goose to stand for at
least 10 minutes before carving.

Recipe adapted from: The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook, by Julee
Rosso and Sheila Lukins with Sarah Leah Chase (Workman)

BRINE: ULTIMATE BRINE FOR TURKEY
Master Recipe

1 1/2 cups, (flaked) Kosher salt**
**See notes below regarding amount of salt and types of salt
1 1/4 cups, brown sugar (packed measure)
10 whole cloves
3 teaspoons, black peppercorns
1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) apple juice or cider (non-alcoholic)
the peel from one orange or one tangerine (colored part only - not white pith)
optional: 3 teaspoons, dried thyme and/or 3 teaspoons, dried sage

Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot, bring mixture to a
boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (partly covered). Allow
brine to cool completely.

Rinse turkey under cool running water, inside and out (remove giblets
from body cavity). Pat turkey dry with paper towels, then immerse
turkey in cooled
brine.* Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid (place a plate
on top of the bird if necessary to keep it covered with the liquid).

Cover the pot and refrigerate* for 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours.
Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry, and roast as usual.

COOK'S NOTE: For a very crispy skin: after removing the turkey from
the brine, rinsing it and patting it dry, allow the turkey to stand
UNCOVERED in the
refrigerator for 6-12 hours or overnight. This will dry the skin and
result in its being crispy at serving time.

This resting period has the added advantage of evening the degree of
brininess throughout the meat (it will be less salty on the surface of
the meat, more
evenly brined throughout), and resting produces a slightly more tender result.

*Be sure the container used for brining turkey is non-reactive: use
enamel, glass or crockery or stainless steel - never cast iron or
aluminum. The pot
should be just large enough to contain the turkey (so the brine will
be sufficient to cover the bird). Brining Bags are now available from
many cookware
stores, as well as giant-size Ziplock bags (food safe) that may be
used alone, or use within a sturdy pot.

*NOTE REGARDING THE CONTAINER (AND REFRIGERATION) FOR BRINING TURKEY:
We have learned that many folks do not have sufficient room in their
refrigerators – or sometimes a pot big enough – for the turkey in its
brine. Our solution
is suggest that the turkey be placed, along with the brine, in a
food-safe plastic bag, such as a turkey roasting bag (available in
most markets). Then,
the bag, with turkey and brine inside, can be placed in an insulated
cooler, a large stock pot or plastic crate, (or even a deep sink) and
surrounded by
ice, “blue ice” or empty plastic bottles that have been filled with
water and frozen. [The latter suggestions are to keep ice from melting
into water which
can be messy.] Then the cooler is closed, or the sink covered, and the
turkey can be brined there for the number of hours required – checking
to be sure
that the temperature of the brine is maintained at below 40 degrees,
for safety. It is imperative that the temperature never be allowed to
rise above 40
degrees – add more ice/blue/ice as needed.

** NOTE REGARDING THE AMOUNT OF SALT IN BRINE: A milder brine may be
made, which may have a less flavorful result – but if salt is a
concern (the entire
turkey will absorb only 10-15% of the brine) the amount of salt may be
reduced. For the desired chemical effect to take place, however, the
proportions
cannot be less than 2/3 to 1 cup of salt per gallon (4 quarts) of
water or other liquid.

**TYPES OF SALT:
Kosher salt is the ONLY type of salt to be used in making brine (it is
sweeter and more pure than ordinary table salt). Kosher salt is
available in two
varieties. The most common is flaked salt (example: Morton Kosher
Salt) which has been pressed into flakes by rollers. The other type is
a four-sided crystal
(example: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt). The crystal-shaped salt
measures differently because of its shape. Use about 25% (one quarter)
MORE crystal salt
than flaked salt when measuring for brine or other recipes. The
formula is: 1 tablespoon of regular table salt is equivalent to 1 1/2
tablespoons flaked
kosher salt, or 2 tablespoons, diamond crystal kosher salt.

***NOTE REGARDING BRINING TURKEYS TO BE “DEEP FRIED:”
When a turkey will be deep fried (Cajun style or otherwise), too much
sugar will cause the bird to blacken on the outside. It is best,
therefore to use
water, rather than apple juice or cider, and to greatly reduce the
amount of sugar called for in the above listing of brine ingredients.

Variations:
*A listener called last year to report that using beer instead of
juice resulted in a wonderful flavor - she even used Guiness, a more
bitter-tasting beer
- and loved it!

Along the same vein, another listener said that she made the brine as
directed, then - after it had cooled - she added an equivalent (the
same) amount
of flat dark beer and another full one cup of brown sugar (packed
measure). After stirring the mixture until the sugar dissolved, she
proceded to brine
her turkey in the mixture - and indicated that the result was just fabulous.

**BRINING A GOOSE: This brine works exceptionally well for brining a
goose before roasting. The meat of the goose benefits greatly from
brining for 12
to 24 hours. Follow the same directions for goose as you would for
brining a turkey.