I'm coming in late here, I know.
I generally use my fork, in my left hand, to find the meat. I then
find an edge or corner, move in a bit to approximate a bite-sized
piece, then put the fork into the meat so the back is facing the rest
of the meat, the tines facing outward, the handle straight up or
tilted away from the rest of the meat. I then move the knife to the
back of the fork and cut down, using the fork as a guide. If the piece
is too big, which you can tell either by using the knife or fork to
"feel" it or by judging the weight once you have it on the fork, just
cut it in half by using the same fork/knife trick as above.

For anything I put a topping on, like pancakes, there is no question:
cut it first, then add what you want on top. I usually cut the item in
half (or as close to half as I can get), then rotate the plate ninety
degrees and cut in half again. I now have four quarters that I can
concentrate on one at a time. Of course, I usually end up with some
very large pieces that I have to cut again. Pancakes and other
lighter, flat foods are good since you can usually tell the size of
the piece by moving the fork a tiny bit once you stab the piece and
pick it up. The balance of the piece, and the overall weight, will
usually tell you if the piece is too large and where the excess is. It
takes practice to read clues like this, but if you practice at home,
where you can shamelessly feel the food if you need to, I think you'll
get it.

At home, I often use my left hand as a guide, which I know I shouldn't
do... but I'm at home, so I figure it does not really matter. I will
also sometimes simply tear up the food, especially things like
pancakes. When I am out somewhere, I try to stick to things that will
not give me too much trouble - fried finger foods, burgers, pasta
dishes with little excess sauce (alfredo, for example), that sort of
thing.

I think a lot of it is just accepting that, when you can't see your
food, you will have to find and cut it differently than others.
Getting good with using a knife or fork as a sort of food cane, and
judging sizes and placements of pieces by how they feel on the fork,
is important. However, it is even more important to simply not think
about what others might be thinking (yes, I completely understand how
hard that can be). Also, you may want to find a good friend, and try
out different techniques with him or her; s/he can give you an idea of
what is commonly accepted as "normal" or "acceptable", and you can try
out different adaptations of techniques and ideas. Together, I am sure
you can work out things that look fine but still work for you. As
someone else said, if you can find a blind person in your area with
whom you can work, that would also be a very good idea. Hope this
helps some.

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
mehg...@gmail.com; http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap