  From: Debbra Piening
  To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
  Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 3:28 PM
  Subject: Re: [CnD] cutting food

  I think you just hit the nail on the head.  Sometimes friends and family get
  frustrated with themselves for not being able to get something across to us,
  and that frustration gets passed on to us, too, in addition to our
  frustration at wanting to do things well.  When I was sixteen, I was
  terribly self-conscious about doing things exactly as sighted people seemed
  to do.  Then I discovered that sighted people often cut one piece at a time.
  Later I learned that even chefs touch food with their hands.  Although I use
  utensils as much as possible, I no longer worry about very lightly checking
  things with a finger if I need to. You will learn.  You've come to the list
  to ask questions, and you've got lots of good answers. So take a deep
  breath, try to relax,tell people not to watch you (you're morelikely to make
  a mistake if they watch), and JUST KEEP TRYING.

  Deb