Hi Amanda,

There are a couple reasons that a lot of recipes call for unsalted
butter: One is that the developer of the recipe feels there's enough
salt in ingredients and salted butter would overwhelm the dish.  The
other is some authors of recipes feel less salt is healthier.  For the
most part, I ignore them and use salted butter anyway, and I don't
find there's any problem with the end results.

hth

Jennifer