Ketchup and mustard are easy.  Use your fingers as a guide.  For a hot
dog, hold the mustard or ketchup bottle directly over the hot dog, almost
touching.  Squeeze a little, and spread either with a finger or the tip of the
bottle where it comes out of.  Wipe the excess from the bottle on the bread.
When I am at home, I often use my fingers to spread.  You can use a butter
knife, but then you won't be able to tell what you are doing.

     Butter on toast is a little trickier.  Hot toast works best.  Maybe leave
the butter out until it gets soft.  Otherwise, the butter will not spread as
easily and you can end up making a hole in the toast.  Another way is to melt
some butter in a cup in the microwave and then use a brush to spread it.  Hope
this helps.