A combination of both. I'm not a mustard fan, so I use mayonnaise on my hot
dogs. I put the may on the bun or bread first, then any sliced cheese, then
the hot dog. From there I'll add ketchup, relish, shredded cheese if it's
used, sauerkraut, and/or chili.
My reasoning is the same as yours -- I feel I can control the condiment
level better for mayo if I add it before putting the hot dog on the bun.