From: Cookinginthedark [mailto:cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org] On
Behalf Of ncboot...@gmail.com
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 3:41 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Subject: Re: [CnD] Chicken noodles in the Crockpot

Will,

This is definitely not a "too simple" recipe. This is great for an
experienced cook even. I'd make a suggestion just to help you learn more.
Why did you add a stick of butter? I'm betting you thought it would add
richness and you said you thought it would thicken the dish. Butter is just
salty grease. Sorry, but plain and simple, that's what it is. When hot, it
becomes liquid. If I were cooking this dish, there would be no added fat
because I want to eat more healthy and there's also fat and salt in the soup
and broth. I assume you dumped the bag of dry noodles in the crockpot. So,
you thought they would soak up a lot of liquid. To figure out how to fix the
to much liquid issue you mentioned, ask yourself was the liquid to thin and
watery, thick enough but to much, and how did it taste. I suspect you should
leave out a can of chicken broth or a can of cream of chicken soup. Not
having tasted it, it's hard to say which but probably the broth. The noodles
would not soak up as much liquid in the crockpot as they would on the stove
because you are not losing liquid to steam as in an open pot on the stove.
This is a great dish and with just a little adjustment, it will become one
of your signature go to dishes for company on a cold winter day. Truly a
good job. And, you didn't even use exactly what we suggested. You were
creative on your own. This is another indicator that you are going to be a
good cook. I hope these thoughts help you gain understanding of how to take
something good and adjust to fix an issue that you feel should be different.

I want to try this soon for myself.

Greg