... using an egg, like how I do.  I typically liked the cooked pudding better
than instant, but the homemade instant mix might not taste as processed.

CHOCOLATE PUDDING
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
3 Tbsps. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2-1/4 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg (optional; see note)
In a 1-1/2 quart saucepan, combine the first 4 ingredients.  Gradually stir
in the milk.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
comes to a boil.  Boil for 1 minute.  Add vanilla.  Spoon into individual
glasses and chill.  Serve cold.
NOTE:  If using egg, beat egg in a separate bowl with a fork.  Add 1
spoonful of hot pudding at a time to the egg, beating constantly with the
fork until the egg mixture is quite warm.  Beat this mixture quickly back
into the pudding.