Making pudding and/or pie filling and sauces was easier using a double boiler. It used a larger pan for the base. That would hold the boiling water. The top pan would hold your ingredients. The premise is the top pan won't get too hot so your more delicate ingredients would not scorch.
Hope I'm making sense,
Nancy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kathy Brandt via Cookinginthedark" <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2015 5:24 PM
Subject: [CnD] Chocolate pudding variant

... using an egg, like how I do. I typically liked the cooked pudding better than instant, but the homemade instant mix might not taste as processed.

CHOCOLATE PUDDING
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
3 Tbsps. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2-1/4 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg (optional; see note)
In a 1-1/2 quart saucepan, combine the first 4 ingredients. Gradually stir
in the milk.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
comes to a boil.  Boil for 1 minute.  Add vanilla.  Spoon into individual
glasses and chill.  Serve cold.
NOTE:  If using egg, beat egg in a separate bowl with a fork.  Add 1
spoonful of hot pudding at a time to the egg, beating constantly with the
fork until the egg mixture is quite warm.  Beat this mixture quickly back
into the pudding.