I usually turn the burner on  for a short period to let it warm up a
bit. With our stove, 2 or 3 seconds is all it takes. Then, I turn it
off again while I place the pot, centering it as best I can on the now
warm spot. Then, I set the burner heat where I want it, carefully
feeling around the edge of the pot to make sure that it is centered
exactly. It's much easier than I feared it would be. Lou