David Schwefel schrieb:
Dear Coot community,

I encountered some problems using Coot on fedora core 10. I installed the
binaries, and upon starting, the system crashed just in the moment when the
Coot window appeared. I have a ATI radeon X1650 graphics card. When I switch
from the standard radeon to the ATI fglrx graphics driver, the system does
not crash anymore, but Coot quits with the following error message:

The program 'coot-real' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
  (Details: serial 661 error_code 1 request_code 143 minor_code 19)
coot-exe: "/usr/local/bin/coot-Linux-i386-fedora-10-gtk2-python/bin/coot-real"
coot-version: /usr/local/bin/coot-Linux-i386-fedora-10-gtk2-python/bin/coot-real platform: /bin/uname
core: #f
No core file found.  No debugging

Any hints how to solve this problem?

David,

when you say "the system crashed" I understand that this means that the operating system ceases to work, with a kernel panic message or similar on the console, X server dead, and not pingable (and no ssh login) from other machines?

If so, then this is not a bug in coot, but rather in the "standard radeon" graphics driver. As this driver is probably a part of FC10, you could try to find a fix by looking into Fedora's Bugzilla, or posting on the Fedora mailing lists.

It is hard to say whether this bug is related to the crash of coot when using the ATI fglrx driver. Check out the ATI pages ; link given at
http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/ccp4wiki/index.php/Visualization:_graphics_cards_and_3D#ATI

It would be nice if you could improve that section of CCP4 wiki based on what you find out.

HTH,

Kay

P.S. As you know we've been using NVidia graphics cards in my lab, without such problems ...
--
Kay Diederichs                http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de
email: kay.diederi...@uni-konstanz.de    Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183

This e-mail is digitally signed. If your e-mail client does not have the
necessary capabilities, just ignore the attached signature "smime.p7s".