> >commenting on this. Maybe there should be some low level
> implementation>without the use of fancy (scheme) widgets, so that
> at least scripts can
> >be run.. (on my - long - list now).
>
>   Ok, I think that would be a good idea. Given the fact that
> almost all scripting
> examples on the manual and in various other scripts in this forum
> are written in
> scheme it would be nice to have access to at least the basic
> scripts (non-gui)
> without having to resort to re-writing them in Python. Although the
> rules for
> how to convert scripts are documented, it's still a hurdle,
> especially for non-
> programmers.

Well, I am almost convinced that there should be an (optional)
Scheme/Guile enabled WinCoot version. Will see when I can do it (I think
most of it is in place already). Nevertheless (almost) all scheme
functions have a python equivalent (and vice versa) so there shouldnt be
too much of a problem in using python only. I agree that there is some
more python examples on the WIKI page missing (on my -never ending- list
already). In the mean time you can look at all the .py files in
yourcootdirectory/share/coot/python, there is plenty of examples there.

>  About the underlying problem - the text in scheme widgets - is
> that a missing
> feature in the Windows scheme libraries or some weird bug?

For the interested, its got to do with the gtk implementation of scheme
which is not fully gtk2 compliant. Other systems dont seem to care too
much but Windowze does. Hence almost all widgets which display text in
some more complex manner wont show any text. I attempted to fix the gtk2
scheme source code to do so, but it seems hard. So I scheduled it for
when my to-do-list has less than 2 items (hoping that there may be
another solution available then anyway ;-) ).

Dr. Bernhard Lohkamp
Assistant Professor
Div. Molecular Structural Biology
Dept. of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics (MBB)
Karolinska Institutet
S-17177 Stockholm
Sweden

phone: (+46) 08-52487673