OK, I understand, RPATH bad.

But as far as I can tell we don't use RPATH. Coot uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is only set by a wrapper script which launches the actual binary, and so the use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH is never exposed to the rest of the system (which I understand is the only problem with LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

Of course, I have no idea how Coot is being built by downstream packagers - only how we build our binaries (and I have rather limited understanding of that - hopefully Paul will be able to comment later in the week).